Friday, July 25, 2008

My Fedora box with compiz & xfce4

Okay its time to share my eyecandy desktop. I should explain some past history before going to touch up on. Xfce is the first window manager which impressed me a lot in my college days. Such a cool desktop with hell lot options and too runs with memory less than 100MB. When i joined my first company i was so lucky to work in the environment I admire a lot, but the real issue i faced there is the memory. I faced issues even with my eyecandy xfce also. (Real culprit java + eclipse), as a java developer i can live with out these bread and butter. When ever i run eclipse and starts my Jboss, my desktop starts drags me like a donkey carrying 1000 pounds in her :) back and climbing mount everest. I forced back to use twm.. hmmm not much eyecandy but still memory wise yes, i was able to find memory to my eclipse and JBoss. Yes now i installed FC (Fedora Core 9) kde as my window manager. But kde4 disappointed me totally, yes is should not expect much, its still getting matured. And i decided i must go back to my good old friend my Xfce. Woila the real yum, the updater yummy for fedora systems, installed xfce4 in just a matter of minutes. Yes i'm done I installed xfce4 in my desktop. Just for a second I thought xfce4 is not much updated coz i can still see the old looks for xfce4 also. Then i thougt I'll go my 3d windowing system compiz which can enhance my xfce4 like anything. yum helped more to install compiz from livna repository in just a matter of second. Okay its enough letmme copy couple of snapshots of my eyecandy desktop. A picture can convey more.
Got wonder with the woobly menu bar. Yes folks its not mac, its my linux box with xfce. Okay breaking the suspense, its is the application cairo which will give you this eyecandy feature. This too my yum repository picked it up for me. No more hickups in installing apps. No more lib dependencies and no more sleepless nights. Hats off to folks maintaining yum repository and the yum mmy updater tool. See couple more enhancements of my compiz managed desktop
Folks don't you really want something like this on your desktop too. Wait is over now, install Linux. Come to the opensource world.

No comments: